Corn Flakes (experiment recipe)

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Corn Flakes (experiment recipe)

Postby eminiM » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:15 pm

I've done this recipe a couple of times and it works beautifully. You don't get the soured corn flavor but I'm not fond of that anyway. Macerating corn flakes in the stripped spirit will and tons of flavor and nose too. I still have a half gallon sitting in glass with oak sticks from a couple of years ago. It's top shelf IMO.
eminiM

equipment: VM all the way!

Postby R-sole » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:50 am

kimbo wrote:
fat gut & bald head

Funny, never met him, but exactly how i pictured him :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

I have all my hair thanks......

Can'tDenyTheBeerGutPunkin
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby MacStill » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:17 am

eminiM wrote:I've done this recipe a couple of times and it works beautifully. You don't get the soured corn flavor but I'm not fond of that anyway. Macerating corn flakes in the stripped spirit will and tons of flavor and nose too. I still have a half gallon sitting in glass with oak sticks from a couple of years ago. It's top shelf IMO.

If you dont mind mate, could you tell us roughly what recipe you used?

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby eminiM » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:06 am

McStill wrote:
eminiM wrote:I've done this recipe a couple of times and it works beautifully. You don't get the soured corn flavor but I'm not fond of that anyway. Macerating corn flakes in the stripped spirit will and tons of flavor and nose too. I still have a half gallon sitting in glass with oak sticks from a couple of years ago. It's top shelf IMO.

If you dont mind mate, could you tell us roughly what recipe you used?

Cheers.

12kg of white sugar
1.5kg of corn flakes (walmart brand)
4 liters of lite malt extract
add water to 15 gallons
One package of Alcotec 48

Stripped and macerated 750 grams of corn flakes in the low wines. (can't remember how long but a couple of days at least)
I did the spirit run on propane with cornflakes in the boiler but would likely strain them out if doing with internal electric.
Removed heads with my VM column.
Installed the pot still head and collected hearts down to 60%
Re-installed the column and ran out the balance at 95%. This portion had a distinct corn nose and was added back to the main body of hearts.
Diluted down to 60% and stored in glass with charred oak sticks.

Enjoy!
eminiM

Postby MacStill » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:53 am

Thanks for that, I'll give the malt a go on my next wash ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:03 pm

The original wash of this was a bit of a pig, it stalled and ended up getting an infection :angry-banghead:

Not wanting to waste it I tipped it in with some UJSM low wines I had and ran it through my bubbler, it turned out very nice and noticeably different to a straight UJSM...... Couple of months on oak it will be pretty nice I think.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby maheel » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:22 pm

i bought the corn flakes to give it a try then ran low on weetbix so i ate the corn flakes. YUM ! :D
maheel

Postby Al Qaemist » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:43 am

I've had a finished wash sitting for ages waiting to strip it - just getting to doing it just now - its got a really pleasant maltyness to it. My wash had a 1lb jar of malt extract in the mix, and as its the first time I've done cornflakes I can't say if this is what is coming across or if its just the malted barley from the flakes. If the strip smells this good, I have high hopes though.

I'm getting ready to put another wash down with some backset, and I'm reading the pack of cornflakes - per 100g its 8g of sugar and 76g starch.
Got me wondering if any of the all grain beer chappies can say if these starches would be convertible to sugar with enzymes? I know nothing of this alchemy despite my handle.

Al.
Al Qaemist

equipment: 2"x39" VM, Pot head
50L 3Kw keg, and Modified T500 boiler.

Postby Al Qaemist » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:58 am

Right-o-chaps, I've done my spirit run of the cornflake wash. here is how it broke down all fermented out in 33ltr buckets.

First gen had 1lb of malt extract in the mix. stripped and melted the sugar with 25% backset on the lees of the original wash after taking a jar to use as a starter.
Second gen another 1lb of the extract. Stripped along with the strip from the first gen. again 25% backset on the lees.
Third gen no malt added as it was really heavy on the nose from the backset.

Soaked more flakes with the strip from the first 2 washes and added the cleared wash for the spirit run - ABV of the still charge is around 30%

Ran off the heads at a few drips a sec, speeding it up to only just an unbroken stream for the hearts. I took the hearts from around 75-64% ABV.

This is only the second time I have done a wash looking for a whiskey type drink - now being a VM man and taking great care to eliminate tails from my neutral product, both times I have pot stilled for whiskey I can taste it ever so slightly in the hearts as soon as the heads end. Its not nasty and seems to be oaking out, and i'm sure I'm not running too fast - but do other find this?
Al Qaemist

Postby SBB » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:28 am

Ive got used to the smells associated with the neutral coming out of my T500 Al. I now have no trouble sorting heads and tails from that still, However Ive now done a couple of UJSM runs with my Bubbler and another with my pot still, In both cases Ive had trouble sorting heads, hearts and tails, There seems to be so many different smells in a non neutral product that I think my nose and taste buds are confused :laughing-rolling: . Especially with the pot still run I kept thinking I could smell things were they shouldn't be. I guess its just a matter of time and practice. I know I haven't really answered your question, Just letting you know your not the only one having trouble.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Al Qaemist » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:57 am

Nice one SSB, I've got some wheatgerm about 1 month on the oak - its cleaned right up the tailsyness - but my cuts were way too narrow, it going to end up too mellow. I've tried to be a bit braver with the cuts on this cornflake wash, but struggling to know what I'm looking for in the taste.
I wasn't overly worried about this tails taint I could detect, as I tasted some white dog spirit pre-aging at a commercial distillery and it was rank with it, I just don't want to wait 12 years either :lol:
Al Qaemist

Postby Al Qaemist » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:22 am

Success! After a month on the oak it's a really nice drink - lots of caramel and very smooth - the malt taste is really prominent and the corn flavour is in the background. Again I think I cut too narrow - need to be a bit braver with my cuts, and now I'm getting an inkling for what I'm looking for.
There is still a hint of sweetness in the aftertaste - I think maybe using raw sugar rather than white may help with this - anyone got any thoughts on that?

Al.
Al Qaemist

Postby eminiM » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:50 am

Al Qaemist wrote:There is still a hint of sweetness in the aftertaste - I think maybe using raw sugar rather than white may help with this - anyone got any thoughts on that?

I just ran some white rum @ 95+. I don't drink much rum because I'm not fond of the sweet molasses aftertaste. The addition of bran cereal to the wash seems to have cleared that out.
Only a week old so hard to say if it a permanent thing.........
eminiM

Postby Tracker » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:00 pm

5Star wrote:I woke up at 3:30 just cause that's what i do...

Blokes at work reckon it's a guilty conscience :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

and you expect us to believe that you do all the stuff you write about PLUS work as well?????
brewing, fishing, shrooming, falling in fires, keeping bourbon girl on-side, busting ankles, importing, selling, not selling - but making stuff (of course just for the price of materials plus a small consideration for time invested :whistle:, cooking, etc.etc.etc.

Cheers :teasing-neener:
Tracker

Location: The bit in the middle of the bottom part about 2 hours north of the big smoke.
equipment: Pot still with thumper, doubled up liebig condensers.
2" Bok to clean up mistakes or an oversupply of heads & tails

Postby R-sole » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:07 am

Not all in a day :teasing-neener:
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby WTDist » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:01 pm

searching through all grain recipes and found this. seems its been around la while. guess we all started off somewhere... that somewhere being cereal :)) which im drinking atm :obscene-drinkingdrunk:
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Previous

Return to Recipe Development