T500/ reflux gin

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

T500/ reflux gin

Postby Boardy62 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:05 pm

I thought I would add this to maybe encourage those with this type still to give gin a go,and I am sure adding/ swapping other ingredients using this method will also bring great results. This gin is a very full bodied flowery recipe cut it down or swap out stuff to your liking,the girls love this one

Wash 23 litres ( Bwko 13 litres Teddys turbo wash 10 litres all previously stripped )

Ingredients
Juniper 60 Gm
Almonds x 6
Angelica 3/4 tsp
Orris root 3/4 tsp
Star anise. Half full one or 4 pieces of star bit!
Coriander. 1/2 tsp
Cloves 4 only
Cardomom pods x 2
Rose bud x 2 petals x 8 I used fresh dried is ok
Orange peel 5 strips
Lemon peel 4 strips
Lime peel 4 strips
Cassia powder 1 tsp
Ginger. 3/4 tsp
Peppercorn. 6 whole
Dill tips. 1/4 tsp
Lavender flower. 1/4 tsp
Grevillea stamens Golf ball size bunch

(The juniper ,almonds,peppercorn I lightly crushed )

image.jpeg

My basket was made up of a teapot strainer and a sieve tied up with copper wire as in the photo.

All ingredients that fitted went into the basket (powders I put in a soak bag, the rest around the bag in basket). I put juniper into boiler rest fitted in basket but I am sure peels would be ok in boiler as well!

image.jpeg

The run started at 1230 and with my controller set on 2/3 it ran nicely top temp 80 bottom temp 59 (on my t500 this was a nice slow drip, I have seen others go down to 50 bottom temp but mine will not do that)
As you progress as everyone says the different flavours and smells that come through in the process of a run is fantastic,a lot of fun to do! At about 430 I had 16 jars ( about 250 ml ) collected and the temp was starting to rise bottom temp was 66 deg , I did then adjust water to lower temp back to 60 deg (after that I left temp to rise not interfering to allow those botanicals that require the top end temps to come through)the run progressed in total collecting 28 jars ABV on the run was 94% to about the 16 th jar then gradually dropped to 90% at 20 th jar and so on great fun a good learning process and a great drop to drink, you can pick the eyes out of it and mix different jars to get a milder gin or as I did after testing them all, all but first two jars after fores, and the last 4 jars went in together, missus happy that's all that counts I will experiment with a down played version in the future as after moving house I am only just getting stocks and wishes going again.

image.jpeg

Ended up with a nice 5.5 litres at 92%

As a side note the water where I am is pure water straight from the mountain in the photo untreated a bonus I believe :obscene-birdiedoublered:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boardy62

equipment: FSD Neutraliser, two 2400w elements, gin caddy,100 ltr boiler
T500 reflux still and boiler,
pure distilling pot still head
power controller
Parrot and racking cane

Re: T500/ reflux gin

Postby bluc » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:48 pm

Thanks for sharing looks interesting one day when i have the means will give it a go..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Boardy62 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:55 pm

This is the second run of this method first one was just as good as this one came about after reading heaps of docs posts and others, this is a great site to hone the skills :happy-partydance:
Boardy62

equipment: FSD Neutraliser, two 2400w elements, gin caddy,100 ltr boiler
T500 reflux still and boiler,
pure distilling pot still head
power controller
Parrot and racking cane

Postby rumdidlydum » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:26 pm

Good stuff boardy. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Kenster » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:52 pm

Boardy, although i am not a partaker of the gin.. very impressive recipe none the less.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Return to Recipe Development