Galiano clone,

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Galiano clone,

Postby ed9362 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:40 am

Hi guys. I have a mate who is nagging me to try making some galiano.

There are heaps of recepies on google I was just wondering if someone can recommend one. I'm not to keen on the HBS flavors because so far the ones I have tried have been a bitter disappointment.

If no one has tried one of these recepies I will just pick one and see how it goes
ed9362

equipment: Pure distilling reflux still kit. A few extra fermenters
2" pot still

Re: Galiano clone,

Postby EziTasting » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:02 pm

G'day ed,
I am keen to try it myself but haven't yet. It's something I want to do down the track so, sorry can't help as yet.
Please have a go, list the recipe you're trying what you find - I'll be interested to see what you've found!

All I've done so far is disolve liquorice in 40% TPW. It's average, missed mark by a long shot but the colour is great! :D

I believe you'll need liquorice root, aniseed and cloves for a start...
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby EziTasting » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:44 pm

Dug out my notes - used 40% TPW and added 4 x Aniseed ., 4 x Cloves and ( :laughing-rolling: ) and10 x licorice pieces

Forget the licorice pieces...! :oops:
EziTasting

Postby Woodsy71 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:10 am

Cloning a commercial spirit on a hobby distillers level is very difficult to achieve. Making your own spirit that tastes similar is highly achievable. Sometimes you find that your creation is a better drop than the stuff the big boys pump out.

Anyway, re Galliano, a quick Google brought this up http://www.guntheranderson.com/liqueurs/galliano.htm This bloke has had a crack at just about every liqueur going around.

There's a few other Galliano recipes out there too. Have a look at them all. It's trial and error.

If all else fails, or you just couldn't be farked going to the effort, try an essence.

They can sometimes be an easier alternative. Years back,in the Essences section, i recall a few blokes rated this
italiano-top-shelf-liqueur-still-spirits.jpg

Either way, good luck man :smile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby ed9362 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:40 pm

thanks for the replies guys, the galiano im looking for is more a vanilla flavour than an aniseed flavour I think.

either way I will try a few of the recepies on google and post the one we rate the highest.

cheers
ed9362

2" pot still

Postby Sam. » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:40 pm

As far as essence goes try the stillspirits? they are a big bottle (200ml) that only make a litre or something like that. Those ones are the best essence taste gear I have tried. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Boardy62 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:53 pm

This is one I found,it is on another forum if not allowed please delete

Try this for a starter:

1 teaspoon dried and chopped angelica root
1 stick cinnamon
1 whole clove
1 pinch nutmeg
1 vanilla bean, split
1 cup water
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon anise extract
1/2 teaspoon banana extract
1/2 teaspoon pineapple extract
3 cups vodka
1 tsp glycerine
2 to 3 drops yellow food coloring

Put angelica, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg and vanilla bean in medium saucepan, add water. Heat to boil, remove from heat. Stand 15 seconds. Then pour through wire-mesh strainer, lined with a coffee filter, into a bowl. (It's important to work quickly or the spices will impart too strong a color and taste to the liquid.) Hold on to the vanilla bean, discard the other spices.

Rinse saucepan and pour liquid back into it. Add vanilla bean and sugar. Heat to boil, reduce heat and simmer 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.

Add lemon juice, extracts, and alcohol, stirring to combine. Pour into aging container. Cap, and age in a cool, dark place for 1 week.

Then strain through a cloth bag set in a wire-mesh strainer over a large bowl. Repeat until desired clarity is reached. Stir in glycerine and food coloring. Bottle, seal, age for 3 to 6 months.
Boardy62

equipment: FSD Neutraliser, two 2400w elements, gin caddy,100 ltr boiler
T500 reflux still and boiler,
pure distilling pot still head
power controller
Parrot and racking cane

Postby Woodsy71 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:37 pm

Let us know how you go with this :smile:
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby EziTasting » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:05 am

Woodsy71 wrote:Let us know how you go with this :smile:

Ditto! Seems there's an opportunity for a recipe for development here... i was looking for the ingredients before but have lost the info... must find a better way of recording my research!
EziTasting

Postby ed9362 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:03 am

Ok guys here is a recepies I have tried, I used it first because it was fairly simple to make.
I brought it out at a party the other day and gave it to a few people, out of 3 guys who claim to be galiano drinkers they all enjoyed it, although one said it could use more vanilla, I think next time I will use 2 beans instead of one.

Over all I was happy with this recepie and will make some more.

I also think if I use only one vanilla bean and no essence it should make a nice sambucca. That will be my next experiment.
Hopefully some of you guys try it also

Cheers, Ed.

2 cups sugar
1 cup water
½ piece of star anise
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 vanilla bean split
3 teaspoons lemon or lime juice
4 drops yellow food coloring
2 ½ cups of 80 proof vodka

Directions:
▸ Bring water and sugar to a boil, stirring frequently.
▸ Lower heat and simmer for a few minutes
▸ Add flavorings, lemon/lime juice and coloring.
▸ Let cool to room temperature.
▸ Add your vodka.
▸ Pour into a bottle and store for 2 weeks.
ed9362

2" pot still

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:39 am

Keen to give this one a go!
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby youngy » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:12 am

Ingredients[edit]
Galliano has numerous natural ingredients including star anise, Mediterranean anise, juniper berry, musk yarrow, lavender, peppermint, cinnamon, and Galliano's hallmark vanilla flavour.[1] Galliano uses vanillin for flavouring and sugar and glucose syrup for sweetening. Caramel and tartrazine are used to achieve Galliano's bright yellow colour. Neutral alcohol is infused with the pressings from the herbs except for the vanilla. The liquid is distilled and then infused with separately pressed vanilla. In the final stage, distilled water, refined sugar and pure neutral alcohol are blended with the base. Galliano has been formulated at both 60 proof (30% by volume) and 84.6 proof (42.3% by volume).
from wiki going to have a go myself will post findings :-p :-p
youngy

equipment: turbo 500 retired.
home made column still with home made graham condenser and parrot. retired
5SD Neutralizer bubbler, gas boiler ,100 litre 5S Boiler in the future

Postby Bumper » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:29 pm

Galiano was pre packaged vomit for me as a teenager. Having read the recipes, I might need to revisit it.
Bumper

equipment: ------

Postby Knocklofty » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:17 pm

I got caught in a drinking competition many years ago , beer /Galliano / tequila, I lasted 5 rounds and spent the rest of the night on the bathroom floor, never again
Knocklofty

equipment: Reflux and pot

Return to Recipe Development