What to expect BWKO at 6 months

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

What to expect BWKO at 6 months

Postby Guyross » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:57 pm

Had a few mates over. After a few beers, said, hey, wanna try my bourbon? Sure says they. First dram was straight out of the jug, six months on oak, 60%. Gag, spew says they. But wait, will water it down a bit. Yum says they, and commenced to down large quantities.

I over oaked it originally. Too much. (It was several gens in a large batch by the end.) Then pulled a lot of oak out of it, so it is on modest oak now. I let it run a bit into tails, intentionally. To me, it smells a bit of tails, but may be a bit too much oak. Am I mistaking oak for tails?

But gotta say, watered down to 45%, yummy. In a bourbon and coke, as good as any I have ever had.

What should I be expecting now? I am not keen on the smell at 60%, but geez is it drinkably nice at 40%. And in cola, it is already a champ.

Bit concerned by the smell. Gonna keep giving it a bit of air. What are long term prospects?
Guyross

equipment: T500 with alembic and tower condenser
4” 8 plate bubbler with 600 reflux tower
95 litre BIAB boiler system

Re: What to expect BWKO at 6 months

Postby RC Al » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:25 pm

Tails and wood are 2 different tastes for sure

Over oak some neutral for a few days and compare if you want a base to pick the difference from

The commercial bourbon flavourings taste like a cup of wood to me, you will work it out :handgestures-thumbupleft:

You could post some out to me just so I can let you know for sure :dance: :D
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Wellsy » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:03 pm

Let it air mate
It is amazing how the smell of a glass can change over 5 minutes.
Ideally put some on ice and as it waters down the smell changes. I really noticed a lot over vanilla going from 60 down to 45 over 15 minutes in lots of ice.
I don’t think there is any real recipe mate it is what you enjoy.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby bluc » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:35 pm

I agree oak and tails are miles apart. Tails is generally horrible. First hint of tails on all grain whiskey sometimes reminds me a bit of chocolate but quickly gives way to horrible wet cardboard and other awful flavours.

Oak on other hand when over done gets real tanic and astrigent(dry puckering taste)
Generally more time or adding more fresh spirit will smooth over oaked but once tails is there its there.
I have spoiled my taste(or improved it depending how you look at it) by making my own and I now dont enjoy comercial spirit anywhere near as much as I used too..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Wellsy » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:55 pm

You have improved it Bluc lol
I was sipping on two month old BWKO last night and decided I would try a Canadian royal whiskey after it. All I could taste was maple syrup and am guessing over time mine will become even smoother. Believe it or not I have over Oaked in a bottle by using lots of exposed wood grain and only half the spirit in the bottle ( in about 2 weeks) and it reminded me so much of sucking on a pencil with that bitterness in the mouth.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Return to Recipe Development