Cumquat liqueur recipe

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Cumquat liqueur recipe

Postby stubbydrainer » Tue May 29, 2012 8:06 pm

I have a loaded cumquat tree here, and I was wondering if anybody had a recipe for cumquat liqueur ??
I dont eat "em , ...so I may as well drink 'em :handgestures-thumbupleft:
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Re: Cumquat liqueur recipe

Postby SBB » Tue May 29, 2012 8:53 pm

Theres a few out there........just cant remember where......google should bring some up.

This one looks ok........aparrently it puts hairs on ya arms from what i see in the Photos
http://www.homebrewunderground.com/138/ ... pe-part-1/
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby R-sole » Wed May 30, 2012 2:31 am

I did cumquats earlier in the year. I did a maceration...

I'll find it.

http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3 ... it=cumquat

It was last year :-D

I follwed Bursals method where she reccomended pricking them (i used a stainless kebab skewer) and macerating then doing the panty dropper thing. I added back very little of the sugar. There's a litre bottle sitting on the sideboard, i really should get around to a final of.

FuckI'mALazyPrickPunkin
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby stubbydrainer » Wed May 30, 2012 10:44 am

thanks Guys
I'll give the maceration thing a go and see what happens :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I just dont wanna waste them, and would prefer to drink them rather than make fukin marmalade and waste sugar :roll:
stubbydrainer

Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller

Postby R-sole » Wed May 30, 2012 11:05 am

You can use them after the maceration for boozy marmalade
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby stubbydrainer » Wed May 30, 2012 2:17 pm

I found these recipes on the interweb , thought I'd post 'em

Cumquat Liqueur 1
Ingredients:
500 g cumquats
2 cups sugar
750 ml bottle brandy
Instructions:
Wash cumquats, prick well with darning needle. Combine all ingredients in large sterilised jar fitted with plastic lid. Reverse jar each day to dissolve sugar. Do this for 4 weeks. Strain into sterilised bottle or jar, seal, store in cool dark place.

Cumquat Liqueur 2 I'm going to give this one a go, plenty gin here, no Brandy :laughing-rolling:
Ingredients:
Cumquats: 1450 g
Castor sugar: 1450 g
Prince Albert gin: 1450 g
Instructions:
Unpeeled cumquats sliced into halves and all constituants placed in the bottle together.The bottle placed in a warm/hot bath (washing up temperature) until the sugar had dissolved.This process has the advantage that on cooling the bottle seals itself nicely.

Cumquat Brandy Liqueur
Ingredients:
500 g cumquats
500 g sugar (you can use 375 g sugar if preferred, or more than 500 g for a sweeter liqueur)
1 bottle brandy
Instructions:
Prick the cumquats all over with a skewer or darning needle. Place in a large jar with the sugar and brandy. Shake or stir each day until sugar is dissolved (about 10 days). Leave 6 months before using brandy, at which point the cumquats can also be consumed.

this sounds good to0, especially the chocky bit :D http://www.food.com/recipe/maggies-leth ... eur-271072
stubbydrainer

Postby ledgenko » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:05 am

I was told just to pierce the cumquats and soak in brandy !! I did not add any extra sugar or whatever ... no shaking just put in cellar for a few months !!!
ledgenko

equipment: 500 thingy ... Much to learn... Yep I know squat but can crack out a decent all grain beer

Postby adama » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:58 am

I highly recommend the http://www.homebrewunderground.com recipe.
Don't bother with needle pricking ~ cut the stuff in slices = the more surface area contact to fruit the better IMHO.

The sweetest Kumquats are nagami
adama

equipment: 3" VM
Putting a decent size copper stripper together
28L s/s stovetop boiler come Gin machine

Return to Recipe Development