Liquid Malts

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Liquid Malts

Postby grumpthehermit » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:39 pm

grumpthehermit

Re: Liquid Malts

Postby scarecrow » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:57 am

Many moons ago, I tried a liquid malt/wheatgerm recipe to make a scotch style product. I remember Hookline tried an all liquid malt recipe at the same time, but at $10 a kg can it gets real expensive.

This is what I did:

Add the following and stir till dissolved
HOT WATER 20 litres
WHEATGERM 500g
BARLEY 1 Kg
SUGAR 10Kg
LIQUID MALT EXTRACT 2Kg

Top up to 60 litres with water, let cool to <34°C, then add

BAKERS YEAST 1 cup
CITRIC ACID pinch to pH 4.8 - 5.0

I dissolve the citric in some water first, then just dribble in a bit at a time till pH is OK.

The above will yield about 9.6% ABV. The liquid malt was from Woolies. I'm sure it was Saunders in a 1kg tin.

I ran it through my potstill. It produced a lot of stinky heads (more than usual for some reason) so I went a bit deeper into the hearts before taking product for aging. I took it down to 65% to try and keep it "lighter" than my usual runs.
I aged it on dark toasted oak. 2 sticks 4"x1/2"x1/2". Both sticks were boiled in water for 3 minutes to remove any nasty tastes and to extract a bit of colour (so as not to go too dark on aging).

This was squirreled away for 18 months. I dipped my finger every month to check the taste and for the first 9 months it tasted like piss. :puke-huge: It was awfull and I was tempted to toss it. I decided to leave it longer and it produced the best sippin' tipple I have ever produced. :dance: :dance: Not as dry as straight DWWG, but a nice malty after taste, ever so faint.
I kept it in a special cut glass container and only ever drank it neat. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Scarecrow makes a mental note: Eyes gotsta make summoor

scarecrow
Last edited by crow on Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed vulgarity
scarecrow

equipment: 4" 4 plate glasser
80cm reflux column
3 ring banjo

Previous

Return to Recipe Development