Aromachol

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Aromachol

Postby googe » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:44 am

Hi all, my missus is an aromatherapist and ive got her on a mission to find oils that can be taken oraly. Was thinking along the lines of flavoring, shes got some awesome flavors!. Aniseed mmmmm black samboka!. Anyone looked into this?.
googe

Re: Aromachol

Postby Frank » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:06 am

I sought of did some time ago. See
http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=233&hilit=essential+oils

I got f' all down the path of HOME essential oils making. I would love to know more though. :smile:
Frank

Postby Chocaholic » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:32 pm

I have a few pdf files, not necessarily related to distilling but aromas, flavours, fragrances and essential oils.

Not sure if to post it or not.....
Chocaholic

equipment: Amphora Society PDA-1

Postby googe » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:41 pm

Thanks frank, looks like its not a popular subject haha. Im interested in flavouring with it not distilling it, my missus has got endless books and articales about it. Not much in the way of flavouring spirits though lol.
googe

Postby grumpthehermit » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:13 am

Hey Googe,

I would suggest you proceed with caution, essential oils may be toxic if ingested orally, many must be diluted with a lighter non scented ( flavoured? ) oil prior to being applied to your skin.

I just had a read of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_oil

Based on what I read, I personally would not try it, but given your missus has a background with the stuff that is a plus.

My thoughts are there is a big difference in say macerating some lavender flowers in a bottle of nice neutral compared to adding a concentrated oil of lavender from a bottle, lavender oil might be made from the whole plant and not just the flowers, the taste might be sour or bitter even though it might smell good.

I'm not trying to scaremonger or anything, I would just suggest you be careful if you try it.

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby Chocaholic » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:12 pm

These are probably the only ones relavant, but as you say not sure about ingestion.

The Complete Book of Incense Oils and Brews.pdf
Common Flavor and Fragrance Materials
Vanilla [Medicinal and Aromatic Plants - Ind. Profiles] - E. Odoux, M. Grisoni (CRC, 2011) WW.pdf
Chocaholic

equipment: Amphora Society PDA-1

Return to Recipe Development