Oat Sugar Wash

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Oat Sugar Wash

Postby grumpthehermit » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:05 pm

Hey Crow,

No second gen here. I have kept the feints for my next vodka run but discarded the glue from the fermenter.

I stripped two 25L washes and then combined and ran them through again @ 40%.

Still sitting on a half sized oak stick @ 63% after cuts. Very light colour so far. Will be months before a taste test at this rate ...

How did you go with your malted oat and your sugar head version?

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby crow » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:15 pm

I'm still in SA , was going to be home by now but shit happens , bloody poxed out car fucked up in every way possible , My Grandma took a turn for the worst and we have to move her into a nursing home tomorrow (uncool) and the old boy is getting an opp on his knee Wednesday and Looks like I'll have to finish his jobs off so fingers crossed I'm home on the weekend . can't wait to run it
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby grumpthehermit » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:19 pm

Bummer a bout the family woes. Not fun.

Hope your car behaves it yourself so you can get yourself safely home.

;-)

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby crow » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:25 pm

Yeah , the bucket of crap it is lately fucking Holden Statesmans good they're good and not when they'er not anyway both washes are air tight so should be good to go as will my rum be I hope :ympray:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby crow » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:11 pm

Been meaning to ask GTH have you done subsequent gens on backwashes with this
crow

Postby grumpthehermit » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:19 pm

Have never played with left over wash or backset as yet.

Only did the two 25L washes of oats and now have it on oak.

Want to try another grain based sugar wash, going to put on something tomorrow all going well ... Got some bread improver with Enzyme in it so will add that to the mix for a muck around.

I have pearl barley and some cracked wheat from woolies ...

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby crow » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:36 pm

yeah I think next time ya get that amount of sediment in ya wash I'd have a go at straining it through a thick towel, worked with the figs and they were the devil to clear EDIT hell I might run my SH oat wash tomorrow too or maybe instead :roll: got a heap of rum to run too. ah the joys of coming home to every bloody thing fermented out and over due to run
crow

Postby grumpthehermit » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:40 pm

I still think I'd use less oats next time, it was like glue and the wash had a high viscosity.

I guess I will wait and see how the final product tastes first, it's it's a winner than I might not need to do anything different.

Would be nice to make a wash using malted grains instead of a grain flavoured sugar wash ... Maybe one day.

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby crow » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:45 pm

Well ya could try cutting back the sugar and add liquid malt and some enzymes to brake down the gluten , that would be the easy way out with no cooking mash ect ;-)
crow

Postby grumpthehermit » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:47 pm

Is the bread improver worth messing with, it says it contains amylase enzyme, but I have no clue clue how much or how or when to add it to my experiments ???

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby crow » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:12 pm

Amylase are enzymes for converting starches to sugars so yeah depending on how much it contains and which type it may well be very helpful, unlikely to do any harm anyways
crow

Postby crow » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:34 pm

Ok running my oat sugar wash as we speak man this stuff smelt nice, even tasted ok. I didn't have any of the sediment ppl talk about in fact it was considerably less than ya averge TPW :think: (not including the grain of cause ha right just started pissing out awl smells nice , hell even the fore taste not so bad got to go over and out
crow

Postby crow » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:44 pm

Oh my very God this stuff is nice slash unreal one fast strip hot outa the still and it is the best stuff I've made period . Christ almighty fucking how good is the single malt going to be ppl you got to make this, thinking of putting my mouth over the outlet Update just tipped my JW out(bought for me btw) Ok to be honest this is not !00% sugar wash as it have malt in with the grai but its all oat and sugar .... Man can't get over that this is just low wines
Last edited by crow on Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crow

Postby grumpthehermit » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:51 pm

GOOD STUFF !!!

:D

Maybe I better pull my finger out and get another bread improver oat wash happening in my other tub ...

:handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby crow » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:58 pm

yeah do it this stuff is the bomb, shits all over corn and scotch Don't even know how to describe it : honey defanatly honey but well you know that smell of fresh cut hay, turn that into a flavor times it by twice as good. blood hell the Koval review was pretty damn close and this is a strip a fucking fast strip and no more than 50% . grump old son we are on to something here : very impressed
Last edited by crow on Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crow

Postby grumpthehermit » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:04 pm

:laughing-rolling:

OK

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby crow » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:28 pm

And all done in well under an hr far out wondering if I should run the single malt tonight as well, dream run. last time I was this impressed she was from Sweden and I was 16
crow

Postby grumpthehermit » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:04 pm

croweater wrote:last time I was this impressed she was from Sweden and I was 16

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Stop it your killing me ...

:laughing-rolling:
grumpthehermit

Postby bt1 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:24 pm

Did you get a phone number or address? :D
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Kimbo » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:52 pm

Glad it worked out for ya mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I might have to give this a go myself ;-)
So what was the eventual recipe?
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development