Oat Sugar Wash

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Oat Sugar Wash

Postby crow » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:23 pm

Pretty much what I wrote in this thread 5th post just a bodgy 1/2 malt 1/2 sugar wash deal . I expected something like UJSM sort of deal but this is something out of the box. To taste this good as a first gen low wine is unbelievable can not wait to run the single malt and get the next gen going , going to be something very special I think
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby 620rossco » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:54 am

last time I was this impressed she was from Sweden and I was 16

You know I thought it was just me.
Sweedish backpackers yum :mrgreen:
620rossco

equipment: 3"pot 2"double bok 3"LM/VM.

Postby crow » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:59 pm

Ok that was going to be a 1 off to use up wash and left over malt but the results were so promising that I'm doing it again
Here's what I did put the stillage into an 80 ltr fermenter filled with hot water. then i dissolved 9 kgs of sugar 2 or so kgs of grist oat berries say 1 kg of whole oats (stock feed) . At 30' pitched lees and the oats from the previous wash , chugging a long nicely now :D
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby grumpthehermit » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:06 pm

Whole oats? Will the flavour come out of them into the wash this way?

I still have not tasted mine ... MUST RESIST !!! 8-}

Still on a half piece of oak, very light in colour ...

Waiting waiting ...

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby crow » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:09 pm

yeah look prob wasn't even 1 kg . It did last time but I just remembered last time I pre soaked them in hot water and added them water and all :doh: edit far canal and I just remembered I forgot to use the first steep malt water :violence-smack:
crow

Previous

Return to Recipe Development