Oaking during fermentation ?

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Oaking during fermentation ?

Postby Freemasha » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:25 pm

hello all fellow distillers!

newby to these forms, but not a complete newb to the art!
Short of the introductory yada yada, looking for some input on an idea.

I have been brewing beer, wine, cider etc for many moons and am wondering the distilling potential of oaking during ferm.
i know with wine making its a common practice to dev diffrent oak flavours/characters by oaking at various stages .

has anyone ever tried oaking say 10grams oak chips per 5lts than running through a still ?

anyone have any ideas about oak flavour being burnt in the still, or the flavour being carried to spirit?

In case anyone asks; 2inch detunable head, 100lt boiler, etc

thanyou for your wise input men, lookimg.forward to posting some.samples of the final product, unless i die, of wood poisoning.
Freemasha

equipment: LOOKING FOR 100LT STAINLESS BOILER

Re: Oaking during fermentation ?

Postby Sam. » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:55 pm

I believe the only benefit of aging in wood is at a higher ABV upwards of 50% etc. doing it in a normal ferment of say 10% all you might extract is a flavour that you dont really want.

If you go down this track you could age then re run spirit for a different take... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby crow » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:21 pm

Yeah I don't know :think: I know ppl that oaked tails and re ran it with very good results, try it and see if its shit well what have you lost probably not much because you may be able to pull that flavor out if ya have to
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Freemasha » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:46 pm

thanks guys, good to hear...

i did hear a strange remark in some distilling talk about ever ferment in a wooden fermentor due to wood grain alcohol, but will still it anyway, i guess we never found milk till some sicko sucked off a cow.

wish me luck ! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Freemasha

equipment: LOOKING FOR 100LT STAINLESS BOILER

Return to Recipe Development