single malt

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

single malt

Postby fiddler » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Hi all ..while waiting for the second batch of mollassas to brew my mind turns to scotch ( or at least my wifes does!! )
I could get lots of cans of malt extract but would like to try "real whisky makin " Where should I look for malted barley , stockfeed places ? and if so what do I say is eating it!!!.... they always like to know ; I confusrd the petstock man when I told him the mollassas was for rust removal!!!
thanks Brett
fiddler

equipment: pot still and lots of jam jars

Re: single malt

Postby MR-E » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:07 pm

I get mine at the brew shop.

Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MR-E

equipment: Cooking on gas,50ltr keg, 3"Bok &
4" column with 6 perf plates

Postby Kimbo » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:16 pm

You can get whole barley from the feed shop (thats where i get mine)
but youwill probably struggle to get malted from there. ( thats why i malt my own)
if you want a specific type of malt, as MR-E said, try the brew shop. ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

single malt

Postby Sam. » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:46 pm

Any home brew shop will stick malted barley just depends how much they charge. If you go to brew craft it will be quite expensive.

Bigger quantities will always be cheaper there is grain and grape in Vic which do everything even peated malt and they will deliver it cracked as well if you wish. They have a decent website.

Any big places should carry it and could prob get it quite competitive on the net.

There is a good thread by crow eater on how to malt gear yourself but I personally don't have the time to do it.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby crow » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:30 pm

Yeah mine is oat specific malting Swede has a thread here concerning barley , heres mine
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1562&hilit=+malt

Ok found it , here is Swedes
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=583
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Return to Recipe Development