Barley water

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Barley water

Postby tickle » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:43 pm

Been following Croweater's malting experiment, been youtubing and reading a bunch. Hope to be as successful as you were CE...but my question is about using the barley water. After the first soak I had a bucket of half Ase barley water which tastes great. Has anybody tried, or heard of anybody using this water in the ferment? Seems like it would provide some flavor, possibley some nutrition for the yeast beasts. Cautious about using it, as I feel like it :think: was any good I would have read about it. Any feed back?
tickle

equipment: 4" 4 plated bubble cap,

Re: Barley water

Postby Kimbo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:08 pm

Irs definately worth trying mate, I would probably boil it to kill any nasties tho :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby crow » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:11 pm

yes I always use the water from the first steep. I boil it first as my grain is husked and I found that this water must have bacteria and wild yeast in it and can purify quickly ;-)
Edit ha post same time as Kimbo
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Kimbo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:17 pm

Great minds :-B
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby emptyglass » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:03 pm

I don't know much about mashing, but would it push the pH out of the range?

Sounds like it would be worth the experiment
emptyglass

Postby crow » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:06 pm

I put it in the fermenter not in the mash tun but going by taste no I don't think it has a low pH
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby tickle » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:39 am

Good tip on the boil, thanks. So did you notice a flavor come through? If so, how would you describe it? Not sure I'm ready to leave my beloved ujsm just yet, just kinda dicking around. Figured I could half ass it, add the barley water and the malt (if succesful) to supplement. The water was just an after thought, as it looked like a great beer, and the taste is surprisingly good. Yeah...I am the asshole that tastes everything along the way...
tickle

Postby crow » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:26 am

As I do enough malt at a time to do several mashes only about 1 in every 3 washes gets this put in (I guess the others get some via backwash) but yes I reckon I noticed a stronger pleasant malty grain flavour in the low wines that I attribute to it but do boil it , without yeast in it the steep water will go absolutely rotten in a few days :D
crow

Postby tickle » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:14 am

My batch was just saved I think; I had 0 thoughts of boiling until you guys interjected. Which would have been a shame, cause I love the taste of the water itself, hoping it carries through the bubbler.
tickle

Postby crow » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:48 am

If you put it straight in a pitched its likely that the yeast would over power (kill off) the bacteria, it did with my first lot. Also remember I'm using husked oats, the hulls and husks provide a great place for bacteria to develop more so than you would get from barely. I doubt you would have lost ya wash but eliminating the bacteria and wild yeast is just one less thing for ya yeast to contend with
crow

Postby tickle » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:17 pm

OHey crow! I got some sprouts on the barley! Whoopwhoop! :happy-partydance: Not too sure what mynext move is, dont really have a place laid out for sprouting yet. Might go ghetto, window screens in a cardboard box, small fan.... :think: or in the oven,leave the door slightly open,fan going?(heat off)
tickle

Postby crow » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:42 pm

Wait til the majority over the sprouts are as long as the grain then stop them quick smart. I put them in a jute bag 2 or 3 kgs at a time tied it shut and slung them in the clothes dryer. this wont fully dry them but it will get them most of the way there and halt the malting process after that i placed them in a large container (baby bath) in front of a heater and turned them often. Its now starting to warm up here so my next lots i should be able to spread out on sheets of iron and let the sun do it
crow

Postby tickle » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:05 pm

Cool, thanks. Hate to keep pestering you, I got mine on a brew bag still, if I understand it, I should spread them out while they are sprouting? Or can I leave them in the bag? Would be easy to just leave then bagged, but doesn't seem like it would work.....
tickle

Postby crow » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:39 pm

Mine are drained and in buckets at this stage i turn them several times a day. There is perhaps 10mm of water in the bottom of the bucket , I bring what is moist to the surface . If they can be kept moist in the bag without going mouldy they should be right, I like buckets or basins so I can aerate them ;-)
crow

Postby Kimbo » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:19 pm

I use a big sieve tray, i find that there is less chance of it going mouldy (coz i'm not there during the day)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby tickle » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:26 am

jumpe the gun, lookin through the mesh what i thought were sprouts was just crap and broken grains. :handgestures-thumbdown: but only 24 hours or so in, so not worried yet. if its as easy as soaking in a mesh bag and dumping back and forth between buckets, ill do this all day long.
tickle

Postby crow » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:14 am

your malting barley hey, depending on the variety this could take a week or so. I wouldn't go by the time frame in my thread as I was malting oats which are one of the fastest germinating grains ;-)
Here's a link to barley specific malting, (been waiting for Kimbo to post a thread on his method :!! hint hint)
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=583
crow

Postby Kimbo » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:18 am

I started malting some Barley on sunday and roasted it last night,
so as Crow says, there is no time frame, you have to go by the stage of germination.
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby Kimbo » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:45 am

croweater wrote: (been waiting for Kimbo to post a thread on his method :!! hint hint)

Yes....Yes..., i will. soon :mrgreen:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby tickle » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:36 pm

Soon? Its been hours!
tickle

Next

Return to Recipe Development