Brandy.

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Brandy.

Postby jasonc2861 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:27 pm

Anyone recommend a good brandy flavour/essence or reciepe to mix with neutral.??my neighbour loves the stuff,want to make him a bottle from neutral. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jasonc2861

equipment: Extended Pure distilling reflux,110cm,,bigger is better!

Re: Brandy.

Postby emptyglass » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:06 pm

I can't help out with essence, but you can make a real brandy pretty easy. Generally, its fruit ferments, not grains.
emptyglass

Postby jasonc2861 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:28 pm

WineGlass wrote:I can't help out with essence, but you can make a real brandy pretty easy. Generally, its fruit ferments, not grains.

Yer I've only got a reflux still at the moment,won't be a few months till I get a pot still,not game to pull out the packing on the pure distill reflux.! :D
jasonc2861

Brandy.

Postby BackyardBrewer » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:34 pm

Mate don't pull the packing, it's never going back quite right:-)

You could try some of the "cordials" from the home brew shop. They're only ever going to be flavourings and not an actual brandy but a bottle of good neutral hearts with one of the better brandy essences will be a pretty good facsimile. Not perfect, but hey, I bet your neighbour will like it.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby jasonc2861 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:49 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:Mate don't pull the packing, it's never going back quite right:-)

You could try some of the "cordials" from the home brew shop. They're only ever going to be flavourings and not an actual brandy but a bottle of good neutral hearts with one of the better brandy essences will be a pretty good facsimile. Not perfect, but hey, I bet your neighbour will like it.

Yer he's been my ginnipig with some awsome and some horrific homebrewed beers over the years,and were lovin the spirits I been making,done a jäger from the hb shop was ok, going to hit the local hb shop tomoz,gotta get some more chunks,,so will have a sqizz i spouse. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jasonc2861

Postby emptyglass » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:53 pm

jasonc2861 wrote:Yer I've only got a reflux still at the moment,won't be a few months till I get a pot still,not game to pull out the packing on the pure distill reflux.! :D

Yeah mate, dont pull the packing out of one of them (just ask crow)
You might get someone chime in with a good essence.

You could try using "sticks". Old wine barrel staves make good sticks, and a red wine barrel gives good brandy hues
emptyglass

Postby jasonc2861 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:49 am

WineGlass wrote:
jasonc2861 wrote:Yer I've only got a reflux still at the moment,won't be a few months till I get a pot still,not game to pull out the packing on the pure distill reflux.! :D

Yeah mate, dont pull the packing out of one of them (just ask crow)
You might get someone chime in with a good essence.

You could try using "sticks". Old wine barrel staves make good sticks, and a red wine barrel gives good brandy hues

Ok Kool ill try to get some of them today,,,lov going to my local HBS,conned the owner to try a tpw,,made him laugh with that one,gives me a discount now to keep my mouth shut about it when in the shop.lol.ok thnks again. :D
jasonc2861

Return to Recipe Development