how do you know what to put in

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

how do you know what to put in

Postby fizzydrink » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:32 pm

hey all.

This might be a dumb question and I maybe just have to read more. but...

When you guys make up a recipe. How do you know what to put it in?
I mean. How do you come to the conclusion that if you put some tomato paste and yeast snd sugar in some water, you'll get booze?
I know yeast and sugar go together but wheres the point you add pumpkin or whatever?

Sorry if I sound like a Dumb ass

cheers

Fd
fizzydrink

equipment: Did have a Still spirits 25l super reflux, now a T500.
Slowly working my way up. ..

Re: how do you know what to put in

Postby Camikaze » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:37 pm

Those other added items pumpkin/tomato paste etc are generally nutrients for the yeast to feed on. Without them, you'll have unhappy yeasties and off flavours.

Yeasty-beasties need more than just sugar to produce alcohol. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Theres also a bunch of stuff used to balance the wash ph levels etc to maintain a happy environment for the yeast. Think of them as little hooch puppies. Gotta treat them nicely. :-B
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby Camikaze » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:57 pm

Check this thread out on yeast nutrients. Some good links. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yeast Nutrients
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby SBB » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:21 pm

TPW and UJSM just to name a couple are not just something that someone threw together for the hell of it last week. They are both used by many thousands of distillers on numerous forums world wide.
That is why they are in the Tried and Proven section here and other places, As Camakaze has said, all the ingredients are there for good reason, Lemon juice adjusts acidity or PH levels, Tomato Paste supplies nutrients for yeast, as do grains in some washes. Epsom salts is another name for Magnesium Sulphate, yeasts need magnesium.......the list goes on........there is a lot to learn in this hobby.....the learning and reading never ends really.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby fizzydrink » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:37 pm

Thanks guys. I realise that they arent just knocked up while the missus is out shopping. There's obviously theory to it. Was curious as to why a pumpkin or allbran or whstever. but research has to start somewhere I guess. And what ever has a good nutrient s needed can be tested. Thanks for the info.

fd
fizzydrink

Postby blond.chap » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:45 pm

There is theory behind it, but from what I've seen it's mostly a case of "I've got too much pumpkin/tomatos/weetbix, why don't I ferment it... Hey it worked!".

It's surprising how much technology and knowledge comes from accidents or just giving something a shot and doing it again if it works.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby Sam. » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:31 pm

It all boils down to most spirits through history have taken what was available to them and used it to ferment something to then distill and call it whatever suits them.

These days we can make a wash using the best nutrients for the best yeast to get the best out of our sugar supply. This is usually on the expensive side.

In come the good old TPW washes etc. They tick most of the boxes, you won't get the whole yield but you will be god damn close. And for the cost, better to do 4 TPW than 1 Turbo.

If you want to know what to put in for a complete ferment, read up on yeast books and brewing books.

If you want something that works that 99% of people are happy with go the Tomato Paste Wash :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby fizzydrink » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:34 pm

cheers for all the info. quite interesting really. I have 2tpw down ATM. just waiting for some time to run them. why does the missus have a Mary k thing on all the time?

:angry-banghead:
fizzydrink

Return to Recipe Development