Mrs McStill's Coffee Liqueur (Kaluha) Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Mrs McStill's Coffee Liqueur (Kaluha) Recipe Discussion

Postby peterhobit » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:51 pm

Made this today, did two lots of espresso coffee in the Bialetti (9 cup pot) approx 650 ml, simmered the 3.5 cups of sugar in the water for an hour and ended up with 700 ml. let it all cool and added 1/4 cup of real vanilla essence. Here is where I deviated from the recipe, I used white rum that had vanilla pods steeping in it ( it was about 6 months old) I added 1.2 liters of this 65% abv rum to the coffee sugar mix and ended up with 3 bottles for Chrissy presents. (think it is about 30% abv) Just tasted a shot of this with milk and it is very nice. Chrissy presents made with love for my kids :)
peterhobit

equipment: 5SD six plate bubbler with packed section a Gin caddy + 5SD 60 liter boiler

Postby 1 2many » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:15 pm

Peterhobit wrote:Just tasted a shot of this with milk and it is very nice.

How old are your kids, :teasing-tease: :laughing-rolling:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby peterhobit » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:34 pm

my kids are 24 and 25 and can drink me under the table :)
peterhobit

equipment: 5SD six plate bubbler with packed section a Gin caddy + 5SD 60 liter boiler

Postby robduca » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:18 pm

Got a pot of coffee on the stove right now! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
robduca

equipment: 5 Star modular 4" 5 plate bubbler with 500mm packed section on 50L keg boiler!!

Postby mrsgruffy » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:02 am

Thankyou for this wonderful recipe! We made it up last night, with 15 double shots of espresso instead of instant coffee. We cooked it up on an electric stove top, and rather than boiling, it sort of popped along rather than simmered. We let it cool overnight, added just cheap imitation vanilla essence and our neutral spirit. It tastes amazing! Our neutral spirit was from our first tomato paste wash. Compared to the last hbs one we made using the carbon stuff, it was minimum of 100% nicer tasting, and we didn't mind the first one from the concentrate and carbon stuff. A complete win and deeply satisfying to be making our own stuff virtually from scratch!
mrsgruffy

equipment: Reflux still, hoping to upgrade.. still very new ;)

Postby CH3CH2OH » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:14 am

Cheers

The fun has just begun!!
CH3CH2OH

equipment: 4" copper 7 plate bubbler with packed section on a 50l boiler

Postby MrGruffy » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:29 am

Well, we made 15 double shots, added the sugar to water, waited what seemed like forever for room temp, added the vanilla and a bunch of neutral and the result is very nice. Bracing, robust and sippable.
Thank you for posting this recipe, very enjoying it.
MrGruffy

equipment: T500 and a shed full of potential

Postby Mad » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:40 pm

anyone elses thoughts on using nescafe blend 43. Its what we deink here but going by a previous post it turned out burnt... i dont mind trial and error but rather have success. Mrc mac, you've used blend 43 before?
Mad

equipment: SS Super Reflux(retired), 3600w keg boiler, 3" stainless boka with 4 Barrel shotty

Postby Mrs Mac » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:27 pm

Hi Mad,

I have used Blend 43 (as that's all we used to drink also) and have never had a problem, I have also used black and gold or name brand coffee and also never had a problem. I also just use the Anchor Vanilla Essence, the only that come in a squeeze bottle. Also while its simmering every now and then I give it a stir and a taste.

Just follow the original recipe and you should be fine.

Cheers
Mrs Mac
@};-
Mrs Mac
Lifetime Member

equipment: bubble wrap
sticky tape gun
stanley knife

Postby Mad » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:53 am

Thankyou will give it a try i have an essence sittin in the cupboard but i much rather try this as i can adjust the flavor to our liking.
Mad

equipment: SS Super Reflux(retired), 3600w keg boiler, 3" stainless boka with 4 Barrel shotty

Postby Tridman » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:34 am

Superb recipe! For anyone who is time strapped try this tweak:

If you have an Espresso / coffee machine use it. I add 5 shots at 100ml each. ALSO rather than boil for an hour on the stove, put your sugar / water mix in the microwave for 5 minutes, then stir and dissolve the sugar.
I add everything together while still hot, no dramas. It is indistinguishable from the real deal! Cheers
Tridman

equipment: Air cooled

Postby Adam007 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:30 pm

Gave this a run and it's nice! Wish I did some more reading and used the coffee machine instead of instant however ;)
Adam007

equipment: 2" Boka
2" Pot
50L Keg Boiler 2400W

Postby peterhobit » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:14 pm

Hi, long time since I posted, been busy :)

For a different recipe on coffee liqueur I have made this recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q84OPboco8o I used some of my 1 year old 65% ABV rum that is still oaking in a keg. Very nice. My only variation was I used some cumquat azo instead of the orange peel.

Their web site also has a whole section on cocktails with lots of way of using your precious spirits. http://www.legourmet.tv/

Any how cheers
peterhobit

Postby WTDist » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:22 pm

how is this if i dont use enough vanilla essence or any at all?

not sure if i have some in the cupboard and was hoping to give this a go tonight
Cheers
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby peterhobit » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:48 am

You can always add some later, I believe that coffee, vanilla and chocolate go really well together. Having said that there is vanilla tones in my rum having been on oak staves for so long. My suggestion is to try both :)
peterhobit

Postby Dicko » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:10 pm

Just boiled this up today, will hopefully try it tonight. Shall provide feedback then. Thanks Macstill! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Dicko

equipment: T500 kit for beginning. Hopefully upgrade once i get the hang of it all.

Postby Dicko » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:39 pm

Went well, used blend 43, just been and got a better coffee for a better flavour, but the recipe is perfect!
Dicko

equipment: T500 kit for beginning. Hopefully upgrade once i get the hang of it all.

Postby nojovo » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:46 pm

I made a batch of this tonight using the coles brand gold clone instant coffee, 40ml vanilla extract, and 1L of my first batch ever of TPW..

Highly impressed... A tiny bit sweet, I'll probably water/booze it down a little more next time (or less sugar), but I must say, this is waaaaay better than the Still Spirits cafelua. (Wifey said cafelua tastes a little bit "chicory", where this tastes like actual coffee)

I put the coffee granules in at the end of the simmer raw while it was still hot.. probably should have mixed them with hot water/booze first, they were a bit of a pig to dissolve - had to really whisk it good, but it turned out ok in the end.

Definitely be making this again.. Thank you Mrs McStill! :text-thankyoublue:
nojovo

equipment: Turbo 500 kit, plus a StillSpirits Pot Still condenser.

Postby Pedro1970 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:28 pm

After having an Espresso Martini with my brunch I was inspired... so here goes - i'm making a half batch using machine espresso with the Hearts from my first TPW :happy-partydance:
Pedro1970

equipment: FSD Mac 4" SSG
FSD 2"Boka
FSD 50Ltr boiler

Postby bluc » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:52 pm

Anyone tried this with a whiskey or rum base i reakon it may be a winner.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development