Rum Chat

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Rum Chat

Postby hubs » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:05 pm

Cupcake wrote:A rum wash won't "clear" as such,too many unfermentables in there,wait a few days after the airlock stops bubbling,rack into the boiler and go hard :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I waited for a week and a half before distilling and it went all right. Forgot to put the anti foaming agent (forgotten the name of it now) into the still and was half way through when I remembered about it, but it never foamed up whilst distilling. Is it needed? My last Rum wash I did, I let it sit for 2 days before distilling and it smelt / tasted burnt. I ran it through the filter to see if it help to get rid of the burnt taste, but didn`t. I gave it another chance before throwing it out, or using it as a window cleaner. I put it on oak chips and bugger me dead, no burnt taste. So for a stuff up, it turned out okay.
hubs

Postby googe » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:34 pm

Ive got 4 gens of rum dunDer sitting in a drum that I was to lazy to do anything with. Its got a white scum on top, smells ok, what could I do with it?, its about 20L. Thanks for any help.
googe

Postby SBB » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:32 pm

Do a search for dunder pit, it seems you've got the beginnings of one. Some people say they are the bees knees, others say :puke-huge: :puke-huge:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby CyBaThUg » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:19 pm

ok i have a problem on my third gen it was a prob from the start. First it failed to start fermenting i dont know if this was due to me leaving my second gen in the fermenter for two and a half weeks cuz i was sent away with work, so i added 80g of yeast and it started. It bubbled away for around five days nicely and today i checked the sg with my hydrometer and it read 1.110 arggg :angry-banghead: im under the impression it supposed to be 990 so i bought a new hydrometer but got the same reading.

Any suggestions
CyBaThUg

equipment: pot still

Postby bear74 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:24 pm

CyBaThUg wrote:ok i have a problem on my third gen it was a prob from the start. First it failed to start fermenting i dont know if this was due to me leaving my second gen in the fermenter for two and a half weeks cuz i was sent away with work, so i added 80g of yeast and it started. It bubbled away for around five days nicely and today i checked the sg with my hydrometer and it read 1.110 arggg :angry-banghead: im under the impression it supposed to be 990 so i bought a new hydrometer but got the same reading.

Any suggestions

what is your start SG mate? my rum washes have all had around that SG at the start and finished lower. havnt had single wash go to .990 since i stopped useing turbo yeasts and started down the lowan road.
bear74

equipment: handmade copper pot and parrot,
50L keg and element
220L fermentors

Postby CyBaThUg » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:38 pm

i cant tell u what the start sg was cuz i got lazy and was like it will all b good so no need WRONG :angry-banghead:
CyBaThUg

Postby CyBaThUg » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:39 pm

well it has bubbled for bout five days and stopped should i just run it and c how it goes
CyBaThUg

Postby kiwikeg » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:24 pm

Deleted photo due Toe identifyin details
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby SBB » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:27 pm

You will never get an accurate reading using a hydrometer in a rum wash,,,,,,ever! There are to many impurities from the molasses floating around in the wash. Readings will always be high for this reason. If its not bubbling and doesn't taste sweet run it.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Sam. » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:31 pm

your sure that reading wasn't 1.010 not 1.110?

If it was bubbling for 5 days would be expecting it to be a bit lower
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby CyBaThUg » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:31 pm

So I just tasted it does taste like a low wine it's just sweet :angry-banghead: should I chuck it or can I do something to start it again when it failed to start the first time I added yeast it started fermenting but I didn't add Epsom salts could this affected it. It is my third gen had no problem with the first two :angry-banghead: :text-imwithstupid:
CyBaThUg

Postby Kimbo » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:37 pm

Have you checked the pH level mate? you would want it to be around the 5 to 5.5 mark
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby MacStill » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:02 pm

:text-+1: :text-imwithstupid: kimbo :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I would run it before you chucked it, after 5 days fermenting there would be some good gear in there to collect..... just be careful of pukage ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby CyBaThUg » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:31 pm

Never checked ph level and wouldn't know how or how to raise or lower ph I'm only new to this
CyBaThUg

Postby Kimbo » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:39 pm

Try this thread mate ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby CyBaThUg » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:49 pm

Ok so I'm nearly ready to do my spirit run of macs rum wash any suggestions of what chips to soak it on
CyBaThUg

Postby MacStill » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:29 am

CyBaThUg wrote:Ok so I'm nearly ready to do my spirit run of macs rum wash any suggestions of what chips to soak it on

Medium/heavy toasted american oak is what I like to use :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby CyBaThUg » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:53 pm

Righto where can I buy that my home brew show sell chips but I dunno if it's the right stuff they sell still spirit chips and a couple other brands
CyBaThUg

Postby Lowndsey » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:04 pm

If you can only get your hands on Home brew shop chips then you can just wrap them in foil and put them in the oven for about 2 hours. Sticks are better but the chips did just fine for me before I had sticks.
Lowndsey

equipment: 2" Bokka

Postby bear74 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:36 am

roll out the barrel www.rolloutthebarrel.com.au are good to deal with, staves, offcuts, barrels etc tell him what ya want and he'll sort it for ya at a good price!
bear74

equipment: handmade copper pot and parrot,
50L keg and element
220L fermentors

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development