Mac's Lemon Vodka discusion topic.

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Mac's Lemon Vodka discusion topic.

Postby rumdidlydum » Tue May 17, 2016 1:05 pm

Fishws wrote:Put a wash down last night but substituted the lemon pulp for the equivalent of freshly squeezed lemon juice and a few skins for good measure. Temps good, all seemed ok but no ferment. Checked the pH this morning and its at 3.9, so maybe too acidic?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Warren

What yeast did you use :think:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Fishws » Tue May 17, 2016 3:03 pm

rumdidlydum wrote:
Fishws wrote:Put a wash down last night but substituted the lemon pulp for the equivalent of freshly squeezed lemon juice and a few skins for good measure. Temps good, all seemed ok but no ferment. Checked the pH this morning and its at 3.9, so maybe too acidic?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Warren

What yeast did you use :think:

Rum, I used champagne yeast, got it going in a bowl of warm water and a bit of sugar for 20 mins before pitching.
Fishws

equipment: FSD 4" Neutraliser with gin caddy.
FSD Carter Head

Postby rumdidlydum » Tue May 17, 2016 6:03 pm

Can't really blame the yest then. Whats your temps like at night, could it have been cold when you put it on? And have stalled?
I put one down 3weeks ago as per the recipe and its finished now. Mind you my temps are warm at night at the time of putting it down.
Not sure of my ph as i justed used a wine yeast for citrus fruits.
Does it taste vinegary? Or sweet?
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby rumdidlydum » Tue May 17, 2016 7:07 pm

rumdidlydum wrote:Can't really blame the yest then. Whats your temps like at night, could it have been cold when you put it on? And have stalled?
I put one down 3weeks ago as per the recipe and its finished now. Mind you my temps are warm at night at the time of putting it down.

Oh also is it bubbling away 8-}
rumdidlydum

Postby Fishws » Tue May 17, 2016 7:18 pm

rumdidlydum wrote:
rumdidlydum wrote:Can't really blame the yest then. Whats your temps like at night, could it have been cold when you put it on? And have stalled?

Tastes sweet. Fairly cold here in Perth but have a pad heater under it and the fermenter is wrapped, so temp not a problem. it didn't start up, so no stall.
Fishws

FSD Carter Head

Postby Fishws » Wed May 18, 2016 2:30 pm

Fishws wrote:
rumdidlydum wrote:

Tastes sweet. Fairly cold here in Perth but have a pad heater under it and the fermenter is wrapped, so temp not a problem. it didn't start up, so no stall.

Rum, I'm an idiot. Did another round of checks last night - pH, temp etc. When I replaced the fermenter lid voila bubbles! There was obviously a poor seal. Apologies for getting you to spend the grey matter.

Fish
Fishws

FSD Carter Head

Postby rumdidlydum » Wed May 18, 2016 6:26 pm

All good mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Glad its sorted :teasing-tease:
rumdidlydum

Postby Mad » Sun May 29, 2016 7:25 pm

hey everyone. LLLOOOONNNG time since I've been floating around this place. unfortunately life is taking over, but I'm thinking about giving this lil recipe a test drive as my lemon tree has over flowed with fruit. If I was to run this through my boka would you suggest I remove some packing or possibly increase take off rate to reduce reflux, also just the once run so I'll probably be pretty harsh with cuts my guess is 2 runs would clean it right off. curious about how to cut it too haha imagining an overpowering lemon smell masking the norm heads and tails as I'm a sniffer more than a taster.
Mad

equipment: SS Super Reflux(retired), 3600w keg boiler, 3" stainless boka with 4 Barrel shotty

Postby MaxTT » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:03 pm

Just finished a single run of this recipe in my 40l in pot still. Collected quite slowly and was expecting more flavour to come through,mesocially as was single run..flavour is very subtle.
I have found this is common in my still, rum etc, does not carry bug flavours through. Any ideas?
MaxTT

equipment: Pot Still, 2" dragon modular

Postby WTDist » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:09 pm

got a pic of the still? length of column?
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby MaxTT » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:04 pm

Sorry wasn't quick enough to edit, post should read:

Just finished a single run of this recipe, 40l in pot still. Collected quite slowly and was expecting more flavour to come through,especially as it was a single run..flavour is very subtle.
I have found this is common in my still, rum etc, does not carry big flavours through. Any ideas?

Pot still is 2.5" on a 50l keg. Pic attached is not mine, but very simmilar dimensions.
Was collecting heads at a few drips per second...hearts was a little faster (twisty stream, but still quite sedate).

Wash used Lowans yeast and very juicy lemons (everyone has lemons on the tree at the moment)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MaxTT

Postby scythe » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:37 am

Maybe incease the take off speed when your in the hearts get some smearing with the flavour laden tails.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby MaxTT » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:34 am

Thanks scythe
MaxTT

Postby Sam. » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:03 am

I don't think smearing shit tails through your run is going to make it any better.

Take your cuts as normal and if there are some jars in the tails section that you like the flavour of you can blend them in :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Fishws » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:18 pm

Fishws wrote:
Fishws wrote:
rumdidlydum wrote:

Rum, I'm an idiot. Did another round of checks last night - pH, temp etc. When I replaced the fermenter lid voila bubbles! There was obviously a poor seal. Apologies for getting you to spend the grey matter.

Fish

A quick word of advice, don't use just the lemon juice as I did - there is very little flavour carry through into the spirit. The pulp and meat must give it something that the juice just doesn't. Not too much of a loss though, used the spirit and am making cointreau!

Warren
Fishws

FSD Carter Head

Postby Wobblyboot » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:45 pm

Finally scrounged enough lemons to try this. Halfway thru chopping and peeling now :happy-partydance:
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby Afterlife Brewster » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:32 pm

I have at least 7 lemon trees at home, thinking of cleaning my yard lol, must try this recipe
Afterlife Brewster

equipment: pot still, building bubble plate

Postby benmick6 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:18 am

Gday. What is the longest you would expect this to take to ferment out? Mine has been bubbling away constantly for the last 4 weeks.
Ben
benmick6

equipment: 2 inch boka, 2 inch pot still, 50l keg boiler with 2.4 and 3.6kw elements

Postby Woodsy71 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:43 pm

Have you got a layer of sediment on the bottom of the fermenter? Has the pulp sunk?
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby benmick6 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:25 pm

I'm not 100% sure whats going on at the bottom. My fermenter is not transparent. It's still bubbling every 7 or 8 seconds. With a bit of pulp still floating. I'm assuming that because it's still bubbling that it hasn't fully stopped fermenting.
Ben
benmick6

equipment: 2 inch boka, 2 inch pot still, 50l keg boiler with 2.4 and 3.6kw elements

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development