Appalachian Moonshine using Corn Flakes?!?

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Appalachian Moonshine using Corn Flakes?!?

Postby EziTasting » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Ok,
Have had a couple of goes at the AM following the recipe because it looked easy enough to do, but first time we got 6L @ 65% second time we didn't even get vinegar! :angry-banghead:

Checking all the usual measurements (SG, pH, temperatures, etc) and we got no idea what went wrong... The yeast used, worked fine in another wash we did at the same time (MacRum & WBAB) so it is unlikely to be that. It was in the same area as the other washes... so we're dumbfounded!

Anyhooser, w believe that somehow the corn starches weren't converted, so I was wondering if we can substitute corn flakes for the fracked corn (like CFW)? What would be a comparable qty? Should I go away and stop messing with the tried and proven??

Frustrated ~x(
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Re: Appalachian Moonshine using Corn Flakes?!?

Postby bluc » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:05 pm

You talking kellogs cornflakes or flaked corn from beer grain supplies shop? Personally would use same weight but wouldnt be first time i was wrong, not sure if kelloogs cornflake has enough starch to convert (have been meaning to try mashing supermarket cornflakes myself)Two possibility's corn wasnt in hot water long enough to release starch. Or it was to hot when the malt was added. Third possibility if home made malt barley it doesnt have enough enzyme power so you should add enzymes as well as the malt barley...
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby EziTasting » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:08 pm

Ok, we boiled the corn in a 45L ss vessel until it got nice and thick. We then transferred that to our insulated FV, repeat 2 more times. Then let it sit @ approx 70* for an hour.
Topped up with cold water and then waited until end of next day befor adding malted Barly and additional amylase @ around 60-65*... Following day, the temp finally dropped to below 40*, so we added some ice so we could add the yeast (34*)...
Not ideal temp for the yeast but we've been using it @ 40* without any issues...

All ingredients were the same as first used! We were cleaner and definitely more sterile (didn't sterilise first time)...

I was thinking corn flakes cereal. If it doesn't have enough starch to convert then the CFW is just a sugar wash ( :o ) and I didn't know it... :violence-smack: I guess that could work... ?
EziTasting

Postby bluc » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:19 pm

Everything in your post sounds right to me where did the barley malt come from?
bluc
Site Donor

Postby bluc » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:22 pm

Ok missed the part where you added enzyme can rule that out did you give the grain bed a good stir before taking temp to add malt and enzyme? And where did the enzyme come from. Is it designed for brewing or for human consumption?
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:40 pm

The CFW is definitely just a sugar wash mate, the cornflakes are just there for a bit of flavour!
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Wobblyboot » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:19 pm

Ok, we boiled the corn in a 45L ss vessel until it got nice and thick. We then transferred that to our insulated FV, repeat 2 more times. Then let it sit @ approx 70* for an hour.
Topped up with cold water and then waited until end of next day befor adding malted Barly and additional amylase @ around 60-65*.

U topped it up with cold water and it only lost 5-10* in 24hrs?
Last edited by rumdidlydum on Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby EziTasting » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:15 pm

bluc wrote:Ok missed the part where you added enzyme can rule that out did you give the grain bed a good stir before taking temp to add malt and enzyme? And where did the enzyme come from. Is it designed for brewing or for human consumption?

Human consumption from the Chemist...

Zak Griffin wrote:The CFW is definitely just a sugar wash mate, the cornflakes are just there for a bit of flavour!

Thank you, I guessed that right after I hit "submit"... could have gone back in and edited it, but then thought that I wouldn't mind knowing for sure!

Wobblyboot wrote:
Topped up with cold water and then waited until end of next day befor adding malted Barly and additional amylase @ around 60-65*.

U topped it up with cold water and it only lost 5-10* in 24hrs?

Yer mate - 200 Litre barrel... and it was insulated... and the water wasn't that cold

Im just frustrated that we couldn't get it to work!! It reads really simple...
EziTasting

Postby bluc » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:21 pm

I remember reading that the enzyme to improve human digestion works at a much lower temp mid to high 30's I believe does it have a temp range on the bottle? Pretty sure i read the brewing stuff is a specially formulated to work at high temp?

Here is one of the threads i read
http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5469 cant find the one that talked about the human consumption one..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby wynnum1 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:41 pm

The starch if cooked for a long period with some acid added there will be conversion to sugar could be worth trying but more expensive then enzymes .
wynnum1

Postby Wobblyboot » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:51 pm

U did read this before going all grain?
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5399
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby EziTasting » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:54 am

Wobblyboot wrote:U did read this before going all grain?
http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewt ... =12&t=5399

Yes, but not just before we did the AM...
EziTasting

Postby bluc » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:56 pm

Still reakon its the enzyme causing ya grief ezy...
bluc
Site Donor

Postby wynnum1 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:48 am

What was the amylase some can be used at higher temperatures check the instruction and if higher temperature use that first and the grain later .
wynnum1

Postby EziTasting » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:59 am

The amylase was part of a 'digestive enzyme capsule' from the pharmacy.

Thinking back on it now, we managed to gelatinise the corn well and held it at a higher temp for much longer, but based on the fact that we only got 5 odd jars @300ml out of it and all of it as off (Headsy+tailsy with no distinguishable hearts), I think we didn't ferment a whole lot... So, bluc, you might be on the money there!

We've got some more Barley to malt (found some details instructions online) and will have a go at that before I decide if I will ever do this AM again. The work doesn't bother me IF I know I'm going to get a quality spirit at the end.... So far we've made 2 X 200L washes and ended up with a total of 6L @65% :scared-eek: and a that ain't worth it to me!!
EziTasting

Postby EziTasting » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:01 am

I feel that we've learned something new each time, so...

Its only a mistake if you don't learn from it and repeat the same thing!
EziTasting

Postby bluc » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:30 pm

EziTasting wrote:The amylase was part of a 'digestive enzyme capsule' from the pharmacy.

Thinking back on it now, we managed to gelatinise the corn well and held it at a higher temp for much longer, but based on the fact that we only got 5 odd jars @300ml out of it and all of it as off (Headsy+tailsy with no distinguishable hearts), I think we didn't ferment a whole lot... So, bluc, you might be on the money there!

We've got some more Barley to malt (found some details instructions online) and will have a go at that before I decide if I will ever do this AM again. The work doesn't bother me IF I know I'm going to get a quality spirit at the end.... So far we've made 2 X 200L washes and ended up with a total of 6L @65% :scared-eek: and a that ain't worth it to me!!

Have read you need at very least 10% total grain as malt. Personally would work out the 10% malt and buy that amount then for rest of the malt use your own. I know it defeats the purpose of malting your own grain but will save your brew. Or just persevere. When it works you know you have your malting process pinned.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby rumdidlydum » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:19 pm

Not that this helps you much ezi,
But the first ag I tried with corn rye and malted barley, I reckon the barley didn't have enough power to convert all the starches.

I agree with bluc about the enzyme possibly not performing to the extent you wanted :think:

With the all grain i have done since with bought malted grain hasn't missed a beat.
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby EziTasting » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:46 pm

Yer I think that's a lesson learned!

I'll try to use the Barley on its own, as a purely Barley malt Whisky.... That way if it flops it'll prove my 'skill' :laughing-rolling:

And I won't be wasting any more ingredients!

Thx fellas.
EziTasting

Postby bluc » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:38 pm

Good idea only other thing i can think off is the corn mix was to hot and killed the enzyme but going by your post confident that wasnt the case..
bluc
Site Donor

Next

Return to Recipe Development