In The Shed Today

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Re: In The Shed Today

Postby Psykamaholik » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:44 pm

WTDist wrote:try the dump or an air con guy. you can get an old air con unit with a fan still working but no compressor. run water through instead of gas

That's good thinking, you just reminded me I have an old water chiller/fountain sitting in the shed that should have a radiator and matching fan :handgestures-thumbupleft:

To the shed! :dance:
Psykamaholik

equipment: Fusel express super reflux still

Postby WalterWhite » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:15 pm

Moved house a couple weeks ago and have just finished setting up the new shed ...
Wifey bought me 2 X 200L drums and a submersible 350w Ozito water pump for Crimbo.
So I'm currently as close to full reflux as my crap still will allow bleeding off heads of a 45L NGW run.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WalterWhite

equipment: 35L Digiboil with power control, 2” copper pot combo with optional extended column.

Postby WTDist » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:25 pm

you have a power controller dont you? go full reflux and back off power enough so it stops if need be. I run my reflux with the power now and set my water to the speed i want
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:33 pm

Burnt the shit out of my arm was pumping the boiler out after a run and the hose blue of sending boiling water over my arm
Off to bunnys tomorrow to get decent couplings
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby WalterWhite » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:45 pm

WTDist wrote:you have a power controller dont you?

Yeah that's what I usually do mate ... Just being a bit slack to be honest. ill collect a litre of heads and then reflux for 20mins before I start collecting in jars. Should work out well enough that way as I'm collecting at about 600ml/HR at the moment.
Aussiedownunder01 wrote:was pumping the boiler out after a run and the hose blue of sending boiling water over my arm

Ouch!! Make sure you look after the burn mate. Plenty of cold stubbies should do it!
WalterWhite

equipment: 35L Digiboil with power control, 2” copper pot combo with optional extended column.

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:49 pm

Seems like its cooled down ok but taking your advice looks like I have to many uj shots :oops:
Aussiedownunder01

equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby rumdidlydum » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:08 pm

Sory to hear you come off second best.
What failed? The hose come off or the coupling?
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby MacStill » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:33 am

Fuck the shed :angry-banghead:

IMG_0803.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:09 am

rumdidlydum wrote:Sory to hear you come off second best.
What failed? The hose come off or the coupling?

Just the hose I use to pump out the boiler was keeping dunder for uj second jen it just popped off
A few new couplings are in order
Aussiedownunder01

Postby Zzpop » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:43 pm

Ran about 30 litres peated mac whiskey low wines on Saturday through my pot nice and slow about a 12 hr run.I used the 1/5th cut theory.Took off everything down to 75 percent and discarded (kept for cleaning runs)this was about 11 litres.I then kept as hearts from 75 percent down to 65 percent then turned the still off.Hearts kept = 3.6 lts diluted back to 65%=about 4 lts.Have high hopes for this one it seems pretty smooth already.Sitting on 1 American oak domino per litre
Zzpop

equipment: Boka and pot
4" 4 perf plate column +50lt boiler

Postby maddogpearse » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:25 pm

Zzpop wrote:Ran about 30 litres peated mac whiskey low wines on Saturday through my pot nice and slow about a 12 hr run.I used the 1/5th cut theory.Took off everything down to 75 percent and discarded (kept for cleaning runs)this was about 11 litres.I then kept as hearts from 75 percent down to 65 percent then turned the still off.Hearts kept = 3.6 lts diluted back to 65%=about 4 lts.Have high hopes for this one it seems pretty smooth already.Sitting on 1 American oak domino per litre

Haha you harsh bastard!
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC
50L Keg with 5000W electric elements.

Postby wynnum1 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:30 am

Aussiedownunder01 wrote:Burnt the shit out of my arm was pumping the boiler out after a run and the hose blue of sending boiling water over my arm
Off to bunnys tomorrow to get decent couplings

Filling the boiler up with some cooling water and then pumping out gets the contents to a more manageable temperature.
wynnum1

Postby Doubleuj » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:51 am

In the shed today? No not in the shed, still stuck in traffic or queues or a small apartment in Brisbane ~x(
No shed, no still, arrrrgh ~x(
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Nino » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:12 am

Will be blending and oaking my Macwhiskey that has been airing for 2days. But I think I will do it inside as it may be a little to warm in the shed today :D.

The hearts tastes yummy already can't wait until it has been oaked for a couple of months
Nino

equipment: Black Mangus reflux still and 30lt boiler. 4" Modular pot still from FSD. Now a 50lt keg boiler with 2 2400 watt heating elements and a controller. 5 plate bubbler with a 500mm packed section

Postby WTDist » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:05 pm

maddogpearse wrote:
Zzpop wrote:Ran about 30 litres peated mac whiskey low wines on Saturday through my pot nice and slow about a 12 hr run.I used the 1/5th cut theory.Took off everything down to 75 percent and discarded (kept for cleaning runs)this was about 11 litres.I then kept as hearts from 75 percent down to 65 percent then turned the still off.Hearts kept = 3.6 lts diluted back to 65%=about 4 lts.Have high hopes for this one it seems pretty smooth already.Sitting on 1 American oak domino per litre

Haha you harsh bastard!

:text-+1: :text-lol: no tails lol

doing my cuts today on my first ever run of CFW (my version of gen 5's/6) through the 2" bubbler. Will be interesting. smooth off the still in hearts so i got high hopes. keeping last heads jar and first tails jar for some body and ill let it air while aging to evaporate the heads and keep flavour :handgestures-thumbupleft:

what time does CFW/WB need to start tasting good on oak?
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Dejay » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:31 pm

What a great thread. Only read the 1st few pages then skipped to the end. Your post's are important to us, so I will get back to them shortly. :P I promise!

So I'm in trouble because of 8 weeks ago, I jack hammered out 2 pillars under the house and jack hammered a meter odd down to make a man cave.
I jammed in 8 new beams, but should have researched a bit better and used blue beams when red beams would have been sturdier. So there was a bit of bounce.
I made some wedges and all's good, but plan to rectify with extra beams in the future.
The wife is convinced the house is going to collapse. She's not happy at all. But hey, I have a man cave! :D

So that's where my new still and gear is working away. I spent the day sorting tools and boxes, signing up here and watching my wash bubble. Great day all round.
I plan to poor a cement floor and make it all real pretty over the next year.

Not having the biggest house and no garage, I'm as happy as a monkey with a peanut machine. It really is the little things that make you happy. I even sat there for a bit and smiled looking around.
Note to self, take Morteen tomorrow! Damn Mossies.
Dejay

equipment: Ultimate Stainless Steel Complete 25l System with reflux Still.

Postby xcvator » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:53 pm

Dejay wrote:What a great thread. Only read the 1st few pages then skipped to the end. Your post's are important to us, so I will get back to them shortly. :P I promise!

So I'm in trouble because of 8 weeks ago, I jack hammered out 2 pillars under the house and jack hammered a meter odd down to make a man cave.
I jammed in 8 new beams, but should have researched a bit better and used blue beams when red beams would have been sturdier. So there was a bit of bounce.
I made some wedges and all's good, but plan to rectify with extra beams in the future.
The wife is convinced the house is going to collapse. She's not happy at all. But hey, I have a man cave! :D

So that's where my new still and gear is working away. I spent the day sorting tools and boxes, signing up here and watching my wash bubble. Great day all round.
I plan to poor a cement floor and make it all real pretty over the next year.

Not having the biggest house and no garage, I'm as happy as a monkey with a peanut machine. It really is the little things that make you happy. I even sat there for a bit and smiled looking around.
Note to self, take Morteen tomorrow! Damn Mossies.

Well done :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: don't worry about the house falling down, let swmbo do the worrying :laughing-rolling: You've got your man cave and that's the important bit :-D :-D
xcvator

equipment: 2" MacBoka
2" Copper Pot still Head
50 Litre keg on a 16000 watt 4 ring gas burner

Postby wynnum1 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:41 am

What is the drainage like where you dug out .
wynnum1

progress.....

Postby Redux » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:52 pm

well lads i got the plumbing done today, all i need to fire up for the water test is a connector to take the pump output to 19mm.... bunnings first thing tomorrow.

the outdoor bit...

outdoor plumbing.jpg

inside, the gas burner is currently out, as is the corrugated heat shielding.... just till the water tests are done then im good to go!!

:banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dreads: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:

ready for water test.jpg

ready for water test 2.jpg

starting to get a bit excited!!

:D
Redux

equipment: 5 plate bubbler with 500mm packed section on a 50lt gasser keg ...
set up in a wee shed....

Postby Nino » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:39 pm

Looking good Red :handgestures-thumbupleft: ^:)^
Nino

equipment: Black Mangus reflux still and 30lt boiler. 4" Modular pot still from FSD. Now a 50lt keg boiler with 2 2400 watt heating elements and a controller. 5 plate bubbler with a 500mm packed section

PreviousNext

Return to The Dunder Pit