Simple All-Grain Bourbon For Anyone

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Simple All-Grain Bourbon For Anyone

Postby vqstatesman » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:56 pm

Just wondering if this would be easier to do in a esky/cooler setup with a false bottom?

Surely a false bottom would be easier than straining through mesh bags?

Am I missing something?
vqstatesman

equipment: 4" Bubbler
150L Pressurised Bain Marie with built in agitator
50L Milk Can Boiler for small runs (feints)
T500 boiler repurposed as oversized decanter
Grainfather in the corner collecting dust

Postby Velophile » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:44 pm

It's the corn.

A false bottom / manifold / braid etc work fine for barley mash.

Apparently corn turns to glue like porridge and won't sparge. The idea of a mash tun full of glug puts me off making bourbon.
Velophile

equipment: More all grain brew kit than I really need. Also Plenty of tools and a growing collection of copper pipe.

Postby woodduck » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:48 pm

The glug's not the problem, thats the easy part it's getting the liquid out of the grain once it's fermented. A centrifuge or press would be the go.

A fulse bottom might work but you've gone to all that trouble you want all the juice out so you'll still need to press it or something.
woodduck

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby vqstatesman » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:00 pm

I notice Brendan scoops out all the liquid and gain (once its all fermented) and strains it in a bag...
Is there any reason not to do the whole procedure in a bag? Wouldn't this save a little time and make it slightly easier?

Sorry if these are stupid questions. I really want to move away from BWKO and just trying to learn from everyone's AG experience.

Thanks in advance. And many thanks to Brendan for this great thread.
vqstatesman

Postby bayshine » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:52 pm

I wouldn't do it all in a bag as the corn sort of blocks the holes an she hard work squeezing it out :crying-blue:
Much easier to siphon the clear stuff of the top and strain and squeeze the rest out :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby vqstatesman » Mon May 09, 2016 9:30 pm

[quote="Brendan"]FERMENTATION
- Ferment should take about 3 ½ days. From Ian Smiley’s book, I have always tried to run it prior to the 96 hour mark (4 days), but I have heard of people leaving it up to 7 days, but no more...(This is for a distiller’s yeast. I have no idea how other yeasts will perform on this).

I'm using Safspirit American Whiskey yeast, although the violet ferment is over with after 4 or so days mine is still fizzing after 1.5 weeks +

Is there any harm is leaving it longer than 7 days?
vqstatesman

Postby vqstatesman » Tue May 31, 2016 8:12 pm

Anyone care to comment... Is there any harm is leaving it longer than 7 days?

I'm curious to the reasons or people's opinions.
vqstatesman

Postby bayshine » Tue May 31, 2016 10:02 pm

I've left them for longer and was still alright but maybe had a small off flavour in the distillit,but still turned out fine after oaking :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby Cols15 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:27 pm

I've done 5 gens of this recipe so far and I've found (by accident at first) that the longer i leave the mash in the esky the higher my SG.
The longest mash I've done was 24hrs, is there a problem with leaving it this long?
I haven't noticed any adverse effects.
Cols15

equipment: Mac Pot Still 2"
4" Bubbler, 4 plates and 500mm packed section
50lt 4.8kw Boiler

Postby seehuusen » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:53 am

Just a thought, with regards to the stuck mash, if you want to drain via a false bottom, and avoid fermenting with all the grain in the fermenter.
Perhaps adding rice hulls to the mash would solve the issue, it's what I use when making beers that use cereal mashing/wheat grain bills.
It doesn't add anything in terms of flavour or fermentables, but aids in the wort being able to be drained/ recirculated.
seehuusen

equipment: 50L 2" Full Copper Pot Still. Thumper in the planning.

Postby Brendan » Mon May 08, 2017 7:47 pm

vqstatesman wrote:I'm using Safspirit American Whiskey yeast, although the violet ferment is over with after 4 or so days mine is still fizzing after 1.5 weeks +

Is there any harm is leaving it longer than 7 days?

Hey VQ, I believe that if it is fizzing, you're OK. The types of yeasts that the pros use (and indeed I got the same with the Safspirit stuff), will usually be dead flat in 4 days, after which bacteria can start to take over and you lose your mash. I don't know why the Safspirit would be fizzing after 1.5 weeks, except if it's rather cold where you are, but I think that the fizzing gives you a little confidence to leave it a few extra days....could be wrong though :think: You'll know once you run it.
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Brendan » Mon May 08, 2017 7:52 pm

Cols15 wrote:I've done 5 gens of this recipe so far and I've found (by accident at first) that the longer i leave the mash in the esky the higher my SG.
The longest mash I've done was 24hrs, is there a problem with leaving it this long?
I haven't noticed any adverse effects.

Hey Cols, I can only assume that if you haven't noticed any adverse effects, it must be alright. It's an art after all, so trust your sense and experience :handgestures-thumbupleft: If the esky can hold it above the temp where bacteria will kick in for long enough, it will be alright. Chuck a temp probe in at the end and see what you're working with.
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby danwbrews » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:16 pm

Thanks for the recipe Brendan, sounds great! I will be up to the challenge soon. Already have a Corona mill from my beginner days of beer making. What is the enzyme makeup of your packet? I've seen some from a company in Kentucky that sound promising, but would like to try the one or one like yours. Not afraid to age anything. I brewed a beer that was fermented for over 18 months. As for now I'm still just learning, making beer great, distilling only helped...ie sampled a lot while watching. I am building a 40l still so this sounds like something I could do.
danwbrews

equipment: None, I'm new to the hobby. I've been a beer brewer for 23 years. Building a CCVM still that can be used as a pot still when I want.

Previous

Return to Recipe Development